Spring is finally here. The days are getting longer, flowers are in bloom, the clouds are parting, and the sun is shining through your windows… revealing a ton of dirt that you didn’t notice all winter. Spring is the perfect time to get your condo in tip-top shape. But when the entire house is in disarray, where should you even begin? Don’t worry – we have a handy checklist to help you master your spring cleaning:
It’s much easier to relax in the evenings when the room is clean! It’s also a nice way to ease everyone into spring cleaning; if each person in the house cleans his or her own room, you’ll save time to tackle a new project. Make sure to:
- Organize everything — your closet, dresser drawers, nightstands, etc.
- Dust every surface you can think of.
- Flip and/or rotate your mattress.
- Sweep, mop, vacuum or steam clean your floor.
I like to use spring cleaning time to really deep clean bathrooms. Just grab your scrub brushes and cleaning products and get to it! Make sure to:
- Organize your drawers and cabinets and throw away anything old, empty, or expired.
- Wipe down the sink, faucet, backsplash, knobs and handles.
- Clean the toilet, inside and out.
- Scrub down the tub, shower walls, faucet, and showerheads.
- Deep clean tile grout.
- Wash your shower curtain liner.
Kitchen and Dining
Because we’re constantly wiping down counters and sweeping up, come spring cleaning time, I like to get in there and clean the things I might have missed. Make sure to:
- Deep clean your appliances inside and out.
- Change the water filter in your fridge.
- Clean your kitchen trash can inside and out.
- Dust all the surfaces in your kitchen: your appliances, baseboards countertops, table, windowsills, etc.
- Organize the cabinets and drawers.
- Mop the floor and deep clean the grout.
In the living room:
- Wash any rugs, curtains, throw blankets, or throw pillows.
- Clean windows, glass, and mirrors with a glass cleaner.
- Move your couch cushions and vacuum under them and wipe down cushions.
- Vacuum or sweep under the furniture.
In the home office:
- Dust all surfaces, including your desk, baseboards, windowsills, any picture frames or knick-knacks.
- Organize your work and office supplies so you can find them easily.
- Clean your computer screen with a lint-free cloth and an appropriate cleanser (you can find the right type for your screen online).
- Clean computer keyboards with compressed air, cleaning spray or cleaning putty.
- Clean the floors according to your type of flooring.
In the laundry room:
- Clean the inside of your washing machine. If you have the manufacturer’s instructions, follow those; if you don’t simply run the hot water cycle in your machine with nothing inside it.
- Clean the dryer according to manufacturer’s instructions, or by wiping it down with warm soapy water, followed by a dry cloth.
- If you use liquid detergent, clean those areas.
- Clean the dryer vent.
If you follow this checklist, your condo will be sparkling from top to bottom – so you can go enjoy the beautiful spring days without worry!